From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 10:56:35 +0000
I wrote:

>>'dumbing down' its schedule to attract listeners.

Walter Meyer replied:

>Is this the same Radio Three that I was once alerted at
>
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/realplayer/index.html
>
>If so, I must confess to feeling sheepish and humbled on learning that
>its programming, which I had thought imaginative and innovative, might
>actually be an example of "dumbing down".  ...

Radio three "Dumb Down" during the rush hours of 8am to 10am and 5pm to
7pm.  At these times they broadcast bits and pieces and minatures.  Also,
as I have mentioned before, they compress the sound so that it appears
better on car radios.

Outside these hours it is true that one can still experience the odd
unusual or original work.  However, a check on their schedules in any
week will reveal that 18 century music (mainly Mozart) is dominant.  The
inference is that this is the music that they believe attracts the largest
audience.

Bob Draper