From:
Ian Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 11:04:41 +0100
I wrote along these lines a couple of years ago, but I'll reiterate my
thoughts now.  American list members don't know how fortunate they are
regarding CD prices.  In Britain, a full-price CD is often 15 pounds in the
shops, sometimes even a little more.  (Those familiar with current exchange
rates can do their own conversions).  The new price increases by Universal
will no doubt feed through here very soon, unfortunately.

I buy through an excellent mail-order dealer and get substantial discounts
for full- and mid-priced CDs.  For the benefit of British list members,
this firm (which I strongly recommend) is Europadisc.  You have to wait
(usually a week or so, very occasionally longer), but it's well worth it.
The packaging used by Europadisc is excellent and broken jewel cases have
never happened when I've ordered from them.

Europadisc also do certain offers, for example 4 Hyperion discs for
41 pounds 80 pence at present (only 10 pounds 45 pence per CD, a superb
bargain by the standards of British prices).  I realise you have to want
4 Hyperion CDs to take advantage of such offers, but I take advantage of
them frequently.  These offers are for a limited period only.  I now keep
a wants list organised by label.  Then I am ready to take advantage of
offers on specific labels as and when they arise.

Ian Foster