From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 10:36:33 +0200
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]> replies to me:

>Indeed, I don't know.  But your statement seemed to be about Gade in
>general.  All the Gade I've heard - all chamber music, including the Octet
>(pace, Deryk) - has made so little impression on me, I've not been inclined
>to seek out anything else, which may be wonderful but I won't know any time
>soon.  In short, the Gade I've heard has been coupled with other music I
>really wanted to hear.

I like Gade, not always for quality, but for something else, which I cannot
define, but that speaks to me.  Still I would say it is not necessarily so
that you have to be disappointed on "Elverskud" just because you don't like
Gade in general.  "Elverskud" is to Gade what "Cavalleria Rusticana" is to
Mascagni.  I must say it has much more quality than say, his 8 symphonies.
The text is interesting too.

Mats Norrman