Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 01:29:06 -0500
From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Jeremey McMillan wrote:

>I read somewhere that there is a phonograph recording of Brahm's actual
>voice.  Does anyone know where I can find this recordings.  Is there
>anywhere I can go online to hear.

There is a recording of Brahms playing the piano.  However, the alleged
recording of Brahms' voice has been proven to be the voice of someone else.
A recording of Brahms was sent to Edison in the 1890's.  (I am sorry, but
I forget the specific date) There is an introduction to the effect of "This
is Dr.  Brahms bringing greetings to Dr.  Edison." It was for many years
thought that this intro was Brahms himself speaking, when in fact it was
the voice of the man who operated the recording machine.  If you go to
National Public Radio's web site and look at the link to their program
"Lost and Found Sound" you can hear the recording.  It is also stored on
the web site of the University of Michigan's sound archive web site, which,
I believe is accessible through classical.net.

Kevin