Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:09:38 -0400
From:
Joel Lazar <[log in to unmask]>
Not only Sessions [as Bernard Chasan wrote] but also Hindemith set "When
Lilacs Last..."

Did Hanson set any of the same poetry that V-W had used in "Sea
Symphony"?  [apologies for the grammar, but I hope you know what I
mean].  I don't know the Hanson.

There are Whitman songs by Kurt Weill, and choral works by Gustav Holst.

"Dirge for Two Veterans" appears in a heartbreaking setting in V-W's
anthology choral work "Dona Nobis Pacem".

I haven't checked it out in any detail but I suspect that other late 19th
and early 20th century British composers must have set his poetry.

Best wishes-

Joel Lazar
illiterate at the moment
Bethesda MD