Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 14:46:14 -0500
From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
From: Chris Bonds

>Related rhythmic questions concern whether to play (for example)
>32nd-|dotted 16th-32nd 8th when 16th | dotted 16th 32nd 8th, as frequently
>occurs in Handel; whether to play equal 8ths-against triplets so as to make
>the 2nd 8th coincide with the 3rd triplet 8th; and of course the French
>notes ine'gales practice, which I believe is well-documented.

This reminds me of an article I read in either the "Musical Times" or
"Music Quarterly" a few years ago.  The article referred to a preface Liszt
wrote for one of his piano works where the composer pointed out that the

  8th-dotted 8th-16th

or

  8th | dotted 8th-16th

rhythm should be performed as written, i.e., not to shorten the first
eighth.  The writer of the article commented that if this shortening
continued into Liszt's time, it may bear some weight on the interpretation
of some of Beethoven's and Schubert's works.  For me, it's more evidence
that some performance and music-writing habits die hard (like figured
bass).

Mark