Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:29:01 -0500
From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Alright, let us see if I have properly absorbed the wisdom dispensed by
wise members of this list.

a.  Mahler expressed the breakdown of the pillars of nineteenth century
society.  This is Mahler the Sociologist at work.

b.  Mahler attempted(and failed) to meld Eastern and Western
philosophy and theology, coming to grips with the pessimism of Schopenhauer
in the process.  Here we have Mahler the theologian and philosopher at
work.  I consulted by friend Sigmund about this.  Was Mahler really a
sociologist? Was he really a theologian-philosopher? When he had to fill
in the"occupation" line on the Austrian equivalent of a 1040 form, did he
write those in as well as composer and conductor? And Sigmund puffed on
his cigar and answered:Bernie, sometimes a symphony is just a symphony.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University