From:
"Andrea C. Tran" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 16:05:07 -0600
At the hospital where I work we are having "the great pacifier debate."
Not if, but which.  Our thereapists (speech and OT) have strongly
advised against the Nuk/orthodontic shaped pacifier.  However this is
the one we currently give out.  The thereapists like the Playtex Soft
Comfort which is long and round.  We also use the Soothie, but the
problem with it, is parents can't buy one after they go home.  We
(Lactation) want to switch from the Nuk to the Playtex, but the person
in control of purchasing for our dept. likes the Nuk and won't allow us
to switch unless we can show her research that indicates the Playtex is
better, or that the Nuk is bad.  We, thus far have been unable to come
up with anything.  We noticed that Kathleen Huggins in The Nursing
Mother's Companion in early editions recommneded the Nuk for bottles and

in her most recent edition that recommendation is not there.  Does
anybody have any information or articles, research, expert opinions that

we can use?  I hope I didn't violate protocol by using these brand
names. TIA.

Andrea Tran
Boulder, Colorado