Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:37:18 -0700
I realize that this is a highly specific question, but I've searched and
searched and found no information on this, so I'm hoping that
maybe somebody out there has some thoughts.

Currently one reason that the measles vaccine (usually as 1 part of
the trivalent MMR) is not given until one year of age is that babies
have some residual passive immunity to measles until then even if
they have not been breastfed, and the vaccine will not trigger as
effective an active immunity response if there are already measles
antibodies present.

My question then is does this not mean that if a baby older than one
year is being breastfed currently, and receives the measles
vaccine, the same concern exists?  If a baby is breastfeeding and
receiving passive immunity to measles, will it not impact the
response to the vaccine in the same way as will the residual
passive immunity in the < 1 year old baby?

Thanks in advance for any light that anyone can shed on this!

Anne
Jessica - 8/28/78
William - 4/11/98

For Articles/Resources on intuitive parenting, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, etc.:
                           http://www.intuitiveparenting.org
I am: mom, Attorney, Prof., Advocate for Fathers, ChildBirth Educator (in training)
                           http://www.parentinglaw.com

[Note:  Remove NOSPAM to reply by email.]