From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 11:15:22 -0700
Heather & others:   First, please realize that I DO immunize (just not on
the US
schedule).  I don't expect most Lactnetters to agree with this, but since
you asked...I vaccinated for all other things as follows:  number 1 son on
schedule (he now has ADHD, many allergies, etc--no proof per se, but many of
his health problems immediately followed his first immunization, high fever,
and one direct episode of convulsions); number 2 son starting at 6 months
because I
had learned a lot about adverse reactions and the bombardment of the immune
system at too young an age;  number 3 starting at age 1 year because I had
learned even MORE and seen the positive effects of a delayed immunization
schedule in Japan.  It's a touchy subject since I have PhD in public health
and I'm co-chair of the county public health board WITH A PROACTIVE
IMMUNIZATION REGISTRY THAT CALLS EVERYONE NOT FALLING IN LINE ACCORDING TO
SCHEDULE.  However, in bf, well
nourished, healthy populations, not in child care, immunizing before one
year doesn't make much sense.  There are some very strong links with high
quality research showing juvenile and adult onself diabetes, autism, ADHD,
and many more linked to our immunization schedule.  Mothering magazine has a
great peer-reviewed journal article research packet that can be ordered from
them.  I'm not saying that this is the choice for everyone.  However, some
public health policies are very wide sweeping and fail to trust the public
to come in and follow-through later on (such as getting immunizations from
1-2 years of age).  One theory in compliance is that parents are much more
diligent in the early months after birth.

As for chicken pox, I'd rather not immunize and give them the chance to get
natural immunity--unless they approach adulthood still not immune (then
immunize).  Even with my horrible reaction, I still think this is best
because we have no idea whether this particular immunization confers
lifelong immunity.  As you experienced, it is certainly not perfect
protection even for those who do develop some immunities.  We simply do not
know if 20-30 years from now the weak immunity confered will weaken even
more leaving adults open to whopper cases like mine.  Even in children, the
vaccine "protects" in approx. 75-85% of people.  Certainly, it is not
perfect.

Immunization theory in terms of cost-effectiveness is as follows:
there is clearly a trade off of exposing children to a possible, but real
small risk of injury (including lifelong disability and death) in exchange
for a high probability of conferred lifelong immunity,
vs.
the quanitifiable probability of contracting the actual disease (virulency)
and its health ramifications (take into account severity of disease,
possibility of death, and costs of treatment and/or sick leave).

In the case of chicken pox, the formula is thrown off, not by the severity
of the illness (although an identifiable, extremely small percentage do have
severe secondary bacterial infections and other problems including an even
smaller risk of menningitis) but by the virulency of the disease.  By the
time we reach adulthood 95% of the population has strong lifelong natural
immunity--a high rate of "herd" immunity; thus, we don't see epidemics in
adult populations.  What will happen if we find out the weak immunity
conferred by immunization diminishes this herd immunity and ultimately wears
off...adult epidemics.  Our push to immunize for other diseases came from
either the immediate enormous threat of death or disability OR the threat to
other  vulnerable populations (pregnant women and now the
immunocompromised).

One of the strongest arguments for chicken pox immunization is made from
employers of women...chicken pox requires many sick days because children
cannot return to school.  Since moms are usually the ones caring for them,
they must use their own sick leave (at least in the barbaric US where we
have no paid parental leave  or paid sick leave for dependents policy).
Also, please realize that there IS most definitely a commercial interest in
chicken pox vaccine.  There is a strong push within drug companies to
develop vaccines because, at least here in the private market, the mark-up
for vaccines is extremely high.

I hope this makes sense.  I'm not sure if it's relevant to the list, but
I've received many queries, so...
Signed...a questioning rebel in public health,
Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
mom, wife, educator, lactation consultant, researcher, scientist, author,
organic gardener, photographer, lapidary creator, lousy cleaner.