From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 12:30:20 PDT
I personally prefer a relatively narrow definition of classical music
which does not include world music, music theatre, movie soundtracks, or
crossover music of any kind.  It's my way of breaking down the categories,
and I realize that every other person has his/her own way of creating the
categories.  If drumbeats work for Bill, that's good for him.  My point is
that there isn't and won't be any definitive method to categorize different
types of music.  Currently, there's a move afoot by certain segments of the
professional music business world to enlarge what is called classical
music.

Whether that move succeeds or not, any particular piece of music will sound
exactly the same regardless of what category it is placed in.  So, although
discussions such as those on this thread are interesting, nothing really
changes or becomes clearer concerning categorization.

The same applies to definitions of music.  The list has often delved into
that area.  Whether bird calls are music or not, they remain bird calls and
we recognize them when we hear them.  So, I stick to my basic premise that
the individual determines what is music, classical music, and any other
type of music.  The individual can not be proved wrong, and there's no
compelling reason for any persons to alter their views.  Music is a highly
subjective area that allows great variance of positions.  It's sort of like
the issue of morals.

Don Satz