From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 00:23:11 +0100
Pablo Massa wrote:

>... I propose a thread about favourite recordings of Mahler's 4th and 8th.

You can see my own preferences in my Mahler recordings survey with the 4th
to be found at:

   http://www.musicweb.uk.net/Mahler/Mahler4.htm

My own favourites in the 4th remain Kletzki, Horenstein, Kubelik,
Barbirolli, Britten.

>8th: Kubelik (BRO) (DG 1971)/ Vaclav Neumann/ Solti (the best I know,
>perhaps)/ Robert Shaw (Telarc).

I am working on the survey for the 8th at the moment and that ought to
appear towards the end of the month but I don't mind saying now that the
"live" recording by Jascha Horenstein on BBC Legends is the best 8th by a
country mile.  None of the others even come close.  Solti's merciless
assault has never impressed me all that much.

>Among the 4th's recordings that I don't like are Maazel's and Haitink's.
>Maazel is a little "hysterical" and overrreacted, and Haitink is too cold
>(in this particular work) for my taste.

I agree over Haitink though there are at least five recordings by him
available of this work.  Don't be too harsh on Maazel.

>Does someone knows better recordings (older or newer)?

See above.

Tony Duggan, England.
Mahler recordings survey:
http://www.musicweb.force9.co.uk/music/Mahler/