From:
Peter Varley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 09:49:26 +0100
Steven Martin writes:

>I ripped this list off the top of my head and it is possible that on any
>given day I might give you a different list.  ...
>Take this list with a grain of salt and maybe compare it with other peoples
>lists.

OK, here's my list as a comparison. In approximate chronological order:

. Tallis Spem in Alium
. Bach Partita in D minor for Violin
. Beethoven String Quartet Op59#1 "Razumovsky"
. Beethoven Symphony #7
. Schubert String Quartet in D minor "Death and the Maiden"
. Schubert String Quintet in C D956
. Schubert Piano Sonata in Bb D960
. Potter Symphony #10 (G minor)
. Brahms Piano Quartet #1 Op25
. Brahms Symphony #4
. Brahms Clarinet Quintet
. Dvorak Symphony #7
. Tchaikovsky Symphony #6 "Pathetique"
. Vaughan Williams Songs of Travel
. Martucci Symphony #2
. Elgar Violin Concerto
. All of the Sibelius Symphonies (particularly #3 and #6)
. Walton Symphony #1
. Shostakovich Piano Quintet
. Piston Symphony #2
. Rubbra Symphony #4
. Vaughan Williams Symphony #5
. Gorecki Symphony #3 "Symphony of Sorrowful Songs"
. Hovhaness Symphony #50 "Mount St Helens"
. Kancheli Liturgy "Mourned by the Wind" for Viola and Orchestra

The Potter and Piston symphonies in particular wouldn't normally be
considered "core repertoire".  Finding unexpected gems like those is
part of the fun.

Peter Varley