From:
Mary Esterheld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 19:23:27 -0400
Matt Garson wrote:

>I've never seen a performer play from memory before under such
>circumstances and I was wondering if anyone knew if this practice is
>typical of Guy? More generally, is this a practice that is common among
>performers that I've simply never noticed?

In my experience attending concerts, it is rare when soloists 'do' use
music.  I believe even then, it's usually because it's a new work or some
such reason rather than reading from the music.  When there are duets,
trios, quartets, then they usually use music and I'm sure that's mostly
for insurance.

Mary Esterheld
Office of the Deputy Provost