Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 10:16:26 +0100
Jennifer writes:

>So, there's my problem--I live in the wrong country! I have been the lone
>voice it seems, telling mothers it is absolutley *not* normal for babies to
>poop less than several times per day. This is, IMO, one more example of
>common evolving into normal. If it is not normal for adults to have bm's less
>than every day, how is it normal for babies?

But Jennifer, the adult who goes several days and passes hard dry
pellet-like stools is constipated. The baby who goes several days
usually (always, in a fullt bf baby) passes a soft, often large,
stool.

There is a wide range of normal in babies - some babies (like all my
3) were 'almost every feed' type of kids, until they started on
solids. Other healthy babies go several days, and the majority are
somewhere in between.

>allergy until they are older. Further, I have seen that when mothers
>recognize this as abnormal and pursue a solution, they normally find one. If
>there is a solution, there was a problem.

Not necessarily! It could be  the same as 'diagnosing' low blood
sugar, giving formula, and finding that was 'the solution'.  We need
some hard evidence, if you are suggesting that babies who go several
days go on to be toddlers with constipation....

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK