Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Rietveld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 09:25:57 +0200
Hi All,

I want to throw in my 2 mls., for I think this can give this discussion a
little twist..

Yesterday I followed up on a mother that consulted me before I fell off my
moped (nov.99). She had an oversupply and a candidiasis that wasn't treated
the way it should. I gave her and her doctor info about treating the
candida amongst other things and just when it resolved, the mother heard
she had a thyroid problem (hyperthyroidism).

To make a long story short, this mom has Graves disease.
So there I was, with all my info ready and available for her doc
and......... he told/advised her to wean immediately and quit her job. Not
because of the drugs she needed, but because of the extreme weight loss she
experienced. The doc said that it was time to care for herself. She was
becoming so skinny!

A little while before I suggested her to see a dietician, but I forgot to
ask if she did or didn't take my suggestion.She said it took her a while to
get over the weaning, but she did improve and so it was worthwhile. What
I've learned of this specific situation? A lot, but most of all, every
situation is unique. This doc agreed with the info I gave him, had no
problem with giving her the medication while nursing, but fell over the
(extreme) weightloss. So every situation has it's own 'solution'.

The positive thing that came out of all this is that this Dutch baby was
breastfed for six months and that's a lot where I live :-D

Hope this contributes to the discussion,

Renate Rietveld, IBCLC
Rijswijk, The Netherlands.