HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chris Clement <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 16:52:32 -0500
Chris,

I am not on Histarch-L, and have already posted to ACRA-L, AIA, SHA, SAA,
and AAA. Could you please post to Histarch for me? Thanks. Jon

[Letter head]

Mr. Henry Becton
WGBH
125 Western Avenue
Boston, MA 02134

Dear Mr. Becton,

        This is a letter of formal complaint concerning the Antiques
Roadshow broadcast televised from Rhode Island that premiered on 21
February 2000.  In the course of what was generally an informative and
interesting production, your staff and appraisers engaged in activities
that can only be best described as reprehensible.

        I am specifically referring to support, perhaps given unwittingly,
of looters and vandals of archaeological sites both here and abroad.  This
did not happen once, but three times in the course of the show.

        The first instance was of an individual who used a metal detector
to loot a site in Summerville, SC.  This amoral destruction of history
resulted in the recovery of Slave Identification tags.  The circumstances
of this destruction of history were covered on national television; and,
the object appraised by your staff.  I find it difficult to imagine that
PBS is unaware of the fragility of history in general and slave history in
particular or would have wished to be a part in the encouragement of
reprehensible, racist activities that guarantee its loss.  Nonetheless this
is precisely what the show did.

        The second instance was of an individual who had a pre-Columbian
vessel.  This double spouted effigy vessel was authenticated by your
appraiser on national television by calling attention to the changes caused
by the decomposition of human bodies with which it was interred in the
grave.  Perhaps PBS is unaware of the international and national laws,
treaties and conventions dealing with the theft and illegal exportation and
importation of grave materials.  Reputable appraisers would have ensured
that the objects "owner" had a legal right to possess the object prior to
their appraisal and would have been careful to state this fact to the
public.  By not doing this one is left wondering if the individual had a
legal right to the object.  I would encourage PBS to be very careful that
nothing they portray can be used or seen to be a support of these
universally condemned activities.

        The final instance concerned the looting of stoneware vessels from
an archaeological site in New York state.  Again, the circumstances were
covered on national television and your staff rewarded the vandal by
appraising his theft.  I was chilled by his statement that he had made so
much money for so little effort.  To add insult to injury this item is
presently mentioned on your web site.

        Is it the intent of PBS to encourage the destruction and looting of
archaeological resources for profit?  I have always considered PBS to be a
shining example of what is the best in educational television.  The
unconscionable actions displayed on this installment of your program has
required that I reassess my belief.

        I look forward to your timely response.

Sincerely,

[signature]

Jonathan M. Leader, Ph.D.
SC Deputy State Archaeologist

cc:     Mr. Charles Condon, SC Attorney General
        Mr. Dennis C. Vacco, NY Attorney General