From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 07:44:22 -0500
Pablo Massa wrote:

>My father held once a rough discussion with some natives of Washington DC
>concerning Washington National Symphony Orchestra. They were defenders of
>Rostropovich, and my father said that Howard Mitchell was a much better
>director. He recommended me highly his version of Shostakovitch 5th. I
>haven't heard any Mitchell's recording, but I can assure that Shostakovitch
>5th. by Rostropovich with WNSO is crap. Does anyone knows if that symphony
>by Mitchell is available, and where?.  Commentaries are welcome.

Over the years I have heard stories that Mitchell was not much of a
musician. If that is the case, the National Symphony at that time must not
have needed a conductor. His Shostakovich 5th is still one of my favorite
versions of the work. I also enjoy a broadcast performance of the 5th with
Rostropovich and the BSO---word of the composer's death had been received
moments before the conductor walked out on stage. It was a moving
performance to say the least.

There are several Mitchell recordings I enjoy. Another is a concert
performance, issued on a disc for the American Institute of Architects. It
featured the second suite from Daphnis and Chloe.

Other things I have on tape include the Ginastera Piano Concerto No.1 and
the Creston 5th. Mitchell also made a fine disc of the Creston 2nd and 3rd
Symphonies.

Karl