From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 10:23:13 -0700
Christopher Webber ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Steven Schwartz writes:
>
>>I can't imagine Glyndebourne reviving the operettas, as the festival
>>did (and EMI published in what remain for me the best recordings) in
>>the Fifties.
>
>I'm open to happy correction, but I can't recall that Glyndebourne ever
>staged any of the Savoy operas.  The recordings (under Sargent) were made
>with the Glyndebourne Chorus of the day, but I think that was about the sum
>of it.

Until, IIRC, the early 70s, D'Oyly Carte had a total lock on G&S
productions and they were only only to be staged in the "approved" manner.
Some contract or copyright then lapsed and we ended up with Linda Ronstadt
in the Pirates of Penzance...

>Glyndebourne's record in fostering the native product in the Festival
>proper has improved in recent years, but was never amongst its priorities
>in the 40's and 50's - with the notable exception of Britten's "Rape of
>Lucretia" and "Albert Herring", both commissioned after his international
>success with "Peter Grimes".

And about 15 miles from me, there lives a man who took part in that
Albert Herring...

Deryk Barker