From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 19:19:50 -0500
Vilaas Shetty wrote:

>I'm fairly new to exploring classical music, and I rather like violin
>concerto's and am trying to find ones I like.  Any suggestions for which
>ones to listen to? So far, I've heard Tchaikovsky (which is my favorite),
>Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Bruch, Brahms, and Sibelius.  Could you also
>mention why you like the other violin concerto's? Oh, and I'm interested
>in any period, baroque and onward.  Thanks,

My very favorite is the concerto by Samuel Barber, especially as played
by Gil Shaham.  This is hauntingly beautiful music, lyrical and lovely.

One should not be without the concerto by Alban Berg.  There is an
excellent recording of this work available on DG originals with Perlman
as soloist.

Kevin Sutton