From:
Kimberly Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 12:22:16 PDT
Sure, you can add in the dynamics and the phrasing when you are memorizing
music, or reading it.  But I think to some degree that everyone memorizes
passages, even if they do read it from the page.  I can't think of anyone
I know that reads every note of music as they go along.  You begin to
memorize, in short what people call "getting it under their fingers." Also,
you should read what I wrote again.  It's not "at the last minute," but
rather after I learn the notes.  How can I possibly put in the slight
nuances that make music "musical" if I can't play the notes in the first
place.  I should be better at sight reading, but for my particular
instrument, it is easier for me to memorize difficult pieces, rather than
read them from the page.  It's only about five feet from one end of the
instrument to the other.  You try using peripheral vision for movement of
that degree.  And lastly, I like adding in what makes the music seem more
interesting/emotional after simply because all the technical stuff is taken
care of.  I still go back to the score and write it all in, but at least
I'm thinking phrases and lines instead of reading "C-E-G".  In ensembles,
where the music isn't as difficult, I probably would only memorize the
passages with large leaps.

Kimberly Martin
East Carolina University