From:
Steven Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 07:03:30 -0700
I ripped this list off the top of my head and it is possible that on any
given day I might give you a different list.  However, I think the Debussy,
Bruckner and Mahler are definites.  Where I couldn't decide on which
recording to recommend, I left it blank.  Some items are a bit of a cheat
but I am basically recommending a disk which should be widely available
like where I recommend Vaughan Williams #3 & #5 w/ Adrian Boult conducting.
These are two of my favorite Symphonies by Vaughan Williams and this disk
has my favorite Third and a good Fifth (I actually prefer Andre Previn's
Fifth).  However, for the sake of brevity, I just recommend Boult's disk
of #3 & #5.

Take this list with a grain of salt and maybe compare it with other peoples
lists.

I have found that often sticking with a performer that you like (conductor,
pianist) is a good way of being introduced to new composers or pieces.

1. Mahler Symphonies #1, #2 - Bruno Walter conducting (SONY)
2. Beethoven Symphony #9 - Herbert Von Karajan ('63 version)
3. Sibelius - Symphony #2 - Eugene Ormandy, Philadelphia Orhcestra
4. Mozart Piano Concetos (various ones) Alfred Brendel pianist
5. Debussy - Orchestral works.  Bernard Haitink, Concertgebouw Orchestra
6. Bruckner - Symphony #9 - Jochum, Statskappelle Orchestra
7. Bruckner - Symphony #4 - Jochum, Statskapelle Orchestra
8. Strauss - Also Sprach Zarathustra/Ein Heldenleben - Reiner, Chicago Symphony
9. Debussy/Ravel - String Quartets
10. Vaughan Williams - Symphonies #3 & #5 - Adrian Boult conducts
11. Chopin - Nocturnes
12. Brahms - The German Requiem - Otto Klemperer conducts
13. Bliss - A Colour Symphony, Adam Zero - David-Lloyd Jones conducting
    (I know this may be a bit obscure but it really is one of my personal
    favorites)
14. Stravinsky - The Firebird - Pierre Boulez, Cleveland Symphony Orchestra
15. Scriabin - The Poem of Ecstasy
16. Scriabin - Piano Concerto
17. Prokofiev - Piano Concerto #3 - Janis pianist, Kondrashin- conductor
18. Mahler - Symphony #6 - Boulez,Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
19. Mahler - Symphony #4
20. Mahler - Das Lied von Der Erde - Haitink, Concertgebouw Orchestra
21. Holst - The Planets
22. Rachmaninoff - Piano Cto. #2 - Van Cliburn, Fritz Reiner - conducts
23. Bach - Brandenburg Concertos
24. Mozart - Requiem - Christopher Hogwood conducting
25. Beethoven - Symphony #3 - Bernstein NYPO

Steve M. (Northern Virginia)