From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 23:01:08 -0400
Robert Peters wrote:

>Hello to everybody!  I am a novice to this list.  Having watched it now
>for two weeks and being very pleasantly surprised by the jovial tone and
>obvious sophistication of the lists members, I put a step forward with a
>humble request. ...
>
>So this is my question: Which, say, 25 works, do you think are absolutely
>essential for every serious classical CD collection? The works should be
>of every period (from the Middle Ages to the present) and from every genre
>(opera, Lied, symphony, chamber music, concert, etc.).

Welcome to this list!  You seem to be doing fine all by yourself in your
gradual accumulation of CDs and I suspect that if you continued acquiring
CDs based simply upon what struck your fancy you'll be compiling a
collection that will give you as much pleasure as if you were following
someone else's prescribed list.  That said, I notice that, aside from the
Schubert and Schumann Lieder cycles, your collection consists of works for
large ensembles (Operas, choral works, and orchestral works).  Might I
suggest some works for piano solos and chamber music, including quartets,
quintets, trios, etc.  Others will no doubt make specific suggestions.
Follow them or your own intuition.  Enjoy!

Walter Meyer