From:
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 23:14:11 +0100
Robert Peters wrote:

>So this is my question: Which, say, 25 works, do you think are absolutely
>essential for every serious classical CD collection? The works should be
>of every period (from the Middle Ages to the present) and from every genre
>(opera, Lied, symphony, chamber music, concert, etc.).

There's a lot of good stuff in Robert's list but - and I'm sure I won't
be alone in this - I can't feel it's complete without Mahler, no matter
who may have to drop out to make room.  If I had to pick just one piece,
it might be either 2 or 9, even though I possibly love what we have of 10
most of all.  Ask me tomorrow, you'll get a different answer.

Ian Crisp