From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 18:08:56 -0300
John Calvin Errickson wrote:

>...could anyone be so kind to give advice on what he or she
>considers to be relatively good performance of Verdi's requiem?

The best recording I know is Solti/Chicago (Pryce, Baker, Van Dam &
Luchetti as soloists).  At the "Dies Irae" Solti depicts really an angry
God.  And the last plea ("Liberame Domine de morte eterna in die illa
tremenda") sung by Mrs.  Pryce is...oh, well, try it and tell me before.
Please, don't try the last Karajan's recording of this work (I don't
remember the soloists).  The kindest word that one can say about it is
"bad".  Even more:  It's bad performed.  I've heard that recording many
times, and I can't still believe it:  sometimes the orchestra drives out
of his control.

Pablo Massa