From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 03:46:20 PDT
On my way to and from work, I usually listen to recordings I haven't
listened to for a while.  I usually listen to each recording a few times.

For the past week or so, I've been listening to Mozart's "Haydn" Quartets
performed by the Juilliard (CBS Odyssey/MB3K 45826) and to Schubert's
Quartets Nos.  12-15, also by the Juilliard (CBS Odyssey/ MB2K 45617).

I like the Mozart: very pleasant works, very tuneful, but, for me, nothing
very memorable; something nice to put on while having company or reading.
The performances are mellow and laid back.

It was in the early, innocent days of my obsession that I bought the
Schubert, mainly because, like the Mozart, the recording was inexpensive.
I remember listening to it and being immediately turned off by Quartet No.
14 in d, Op. Posth., "Death and the Maiden".  Too dissonant for my
inexperienced ears, two clashing, disjointed.  Listening to it now, I am
blown away.  Whatta piece!  And what a difference in the performances!

Not having heard other performances, I am not sure if the differences in
the performances are due to the demands of the music or the performances.
It sounds as if the Juilliard is sleepwalking through the Mozart.  With the
Schubert, the quartet laces into the music.  Their playing is sharp and
energetic.  I get the feeling that it really enjoyed playing the Schubert
much more than the Mozart.

Anyone have any opinions on the quartets? Also, can anyone recommend any
other recordings that I can compare with the ones I have?

It seems to me that Schubert put much more into his quartet than Mozart,
which seem facile, almost knock-offs compared to the Schubert.

Soooooo, I was wondering if it would be a useful exercise to discuss which
genre (orchestral, instrumental, chamber, vocal, opera, etc.) a composer
excelled in.  Which form should I listen to begin to really experience the
essence of the composers work?

Thanks, as always!

Ron Chaplin