From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 13:18:54 -0700
I am going, with as many friends and family that I can drag along, to see
Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet" with the San Francisco Ballet on May 7th,
Sunday afternoon.  Any fellow listers attending?

Although my aesthetic tastes have broadened greatly since first acquainting
myself with this very special ballet score, I have to say that this is the
music that I would most likely want to hear before departing for that great
concert hall in the sky.  Even more than the music of Mahler.

 From Juliet's lovely theme introduced by the solo flute, (and it's tragic
restatement at the conclusion of the ballet), to the balcony scene with its
soaring octave jumps, to the horror of Romeo's Death on pulsating strings
and stratospheric horns...what a gift Prokofiev has given us.

Yes, this music even more than Mahler's.

John Smyth