From:
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 15:33:20 -0400
Dave Pitzer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Incidentally, I find that after several years of listening to St.
>Matthew's Passion on "period" instruments and all-male singing voices that
>to return to "modern" instruments and mix voices is -- frankly -- jarring
>and very unsatisfying.  The same holds for ALL of Bach -- the Cantatas,
>the motets, St. John's Passion, the Magnificat his organ music, etc.

What do you find so distinctive in period performances of the organ music?
As far as I can tell "modern" (most of them are restored I guess) organs
don't sound all that different from ancient ones.  Are period organs
supposed to be powered differently (no electrical components?) Could anyone
please enlighten this non-afficianado of the organ?

(BTW, generally I can't stand boy sopranos, the only element in HIP I can't
manage to appreciate)

Ulvi