From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 15:17:41 PDT
Dave Pitzer wrote:

>It is, of course, a purely personal thing but Bach on period
>instruments (and using period playing techniques) is almost required now.
>(Except -- strangely -- for the non-organ keyboard
>works where a modern piano is often the "best" sounding to me).

That just about represents my preferences concerning Bach; this must be one
of those "commonality of interest" situations.  The only exception is that
I am, with time, appreciating the harpsichord more and more.

I know what Dave means about the "strange" aspect.  You tell people you are
a HIP/period instrument person and, if honest, also tell them you prefer
the piano.  It does sound contradictory.  But, personal pleasures and
preferences pay little attention to consistency or logic.

Don Satz