From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 14:19:34 +0200
Tim Mahon enruses over Atterberg:

>I still haven't got the Piano Concerto/Violin Concerto disc, but I have
>just finished reviewing the cpo release of Symphonies 1 and 4.  This is
>really cool music -- on the surface it is pure Germanic Romanticism and
>there is certainly a lot of Brahms and Strauss in it.  But I find some
>amazing similarities to the music of (among other more esoteric composers)
>Reinhold Gliere -- especially parts of the Bronze Horseman and Red Poppy
>Suites and to a degree the Horn Concerto.  There is some remarkably fine
>writing here and I, for one, look forward very much to seeing the balance
>of the nine symphonies covered by the seame sensitive and competent team.

As a Swede, I should celebrate the many new releases of Atterbergs
symphonies, by CPO and Sterling, to mention two labels.  But I really
think that the main focus span on symphonies might overshadow his fine
ballet music (some where released by Swedish Society Discofil), the 1916
String Quartet, and why not the intresting Horn Concerto.

What I lament even more is that some give this minor composer (albiet
important in the Swedish musical society) so much attention when there
are so many Swedish composers that are musically much more intresting,
I evoke names like Ake Hermansson, Claude Loyola Allgen, Moses Pergament,
Hans Holewa, Roman Maciejewski - Both natives and immigrants represented,
and all have been represented on record from time to time, but neither
close enough to cover their intresting creating lifes.

As an example C. L. Allgen is now, 10 years after his death is gaining
some recognition.  Their is a recording of his "Fantasia" on Alice Records
(ALCD 020) that are just magnificently played by Mats Person - Like a mix
of Rachmaninov and Sjorabij (this is actually "easy listening" Allgen),
his music is genarally much more complex, comparing him to Sjorabij is spot
on.  If You happen to be close to Gothenburg sunday 16 april, I recomend
stopping by the local collage of music (Artisten) where the brilliant Young
violinist Joar Skorpen will play the 2 hour solo violin sonata.  The 16'th
would have been Allgens 80'th birthday.

peter lundin, gothenburg.se -  Counting the days: DSCH 100 (1906-2006)