From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:39:21 PST
John Polifronio wrote:

>To paraphrase your remarks to me, if you don't think the performing of
>Bach works calls for a "respectful silence from the performers and
>listeners" don't show that respect.

Not a very good job of paraphrasing.  I never said that it's fine for
performers and listeners to make a lot of noise during a Bach performance;
I did indicate that I find looking at this matter of "noise" from a
perspective of "respect" to be alien.

How do individuals show respect for a composer? I think it's a very
personal consideration.  To Jocelyn, it includes observing the repeats.
To John, it includes relative silence from listeners and performers.
To me, it includes speaking highly of the composer's music, buying a lot
of it, and listening with 100% rapt attention.  By the way, although I
infrequently attend live performances, when I do, I'm absolutely silent.
That's out of consideration for other concet goers who have paid to listen
to the music, not listen to me.  None of my silence has anything to do with
respect for the composer.  That's my way, and it's no better or worse than
anybody else's way.  And that's what I don't appreciate about John's view;
he takes a personal standard and extends it to others (such as Gould), but
"others" (such as Gould again) have their own standards to go by and no
reason to pay homage to John's standards.

>Your suggestion that his humming is "irrelevant" to the quality of
>his work is demonstrably absurd.

It's absurd to John because it impacts his listening enjoyment.  It can't
be absurd to me if his humming has no affect on my enjoyment.  But, in my
on-going review of recordings of Bach's Inventions, I'll make sure to
indicate that those listeners who hate Gould humming would be well advised
not to buy his cd.  That should cover it.

Don Satz