From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 13:47:42 +1100
Deryk Barker:

>The first digital New World I remember is the Kondrashin - also on
>Decca, also c1979/80. Also VPO I think.

VPO it was/is.  It was recorded in 1979 and its sound suffered from that
early digital "hardness" which some, including me, found tiring.  Its CD
incarnation may well have improved on that.

My Testament wish list contains a late 50s version by the French National
Radio under Constantin Silvestri.  Until and if that happens, Talich and
Ancerl head my list of available favourites.

Richard Pennycuick