From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 15:18:22 -0600
Robert Stumpf wrote:

>...  While they did not cite him in the article, Stokowski once
>maintained that someday we would make recordings that sounded better than
>live.  Has the stereo system changed our perception of what music "should"
>sound like? {Peace, bob stumpf

I wonder if the ability to make such excellent recordings, the editing and
engineering, make performers feel like they need to get every note right in
concert.  More than likely, a person will not be willing to take chances in
performance, will give a less spontaneous reading of a work.

Some suggestions I had for the last NY Phil set (American Music) were
rejected as one could hear a few wrong notes.  On the other hand, I found
some of those performances to be so full of life.

By the way, the next NY Phil set will be ten discs of Bernstein.

Karl