From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 09:32:16 -0800
Susan Grisanti <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>One situation that would warrant removal of repeats would be a full
>concert program where time constraints override the composers' wishes.
>I suppose this could even be considered an 'artistic' reason for removing
>repeats, if you consider a concert to be an artistic entity in itself.

Very few concerts have stirct time constraints.  Most orchestral concerts
will last around two hours, usually somewhat less for chamber concerts,
but if it lasts somewhat more or less, it really doesn't matter that much.
Playing all the repeats in the "Eroica," for example, will make the work
last about four minutes longer.  Time constraints are hardly a factor
here.  Even, given the unlikely event of a concert with very strict time
constraints, those who plan the concert should choose works that can be
played in their entirety within those constraints, or else announce
before-hand that the works in the concert will be abridged to meet those
constraints, so as not to create the completely misleading impression that
what will be presented will actually be what the composer wrote.

-Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series
Come see our web page: www.bigfoot.com/~CulverMusic