From:
Joseph Previte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 00:04:01 -0600
Cody Obst. writes:

>I am looking for some good recordings of the Liszt Piano Concerto Number
>One in E-Flat Major.

One that immediately springs to mind is the version by Byron Janis and
Kondrashin on Mercury label.  Absolutely first rate, electrifying technique
and bravura while meltingly playing the lyrical sections.  If you can find
a copy of the Argerich live performance on laserdisc (you may wish to
contact me directly about 'acquiring' a copy) with Dohnanyi, it is likewise
a blistering first class account.  Many critics have touted the Richter
with Kondrashin on Philips, but I have never quite understood what was
so fantastic about it.  Another great performance is by Barere on APR,
and same version available on some "pirate" type labels a bit cheaper.
Zimerman/Ozawa is also a top performance, but a bit too granitic for my
taste (a bit on the chilly side).  I would also feverishly recommend Gyorgy
Cziffra with his son conducting on EMI - one of my all time favorites.
Earl Wild on Chesky is also a top contender, and John Ogdon's versions are
top notch, as well.  I suppose I could also give you a list to avoid, but
will do so privately, should you want.  Best chances,

Joseph Previte