From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 12:05:33 PST
Suzuki's Bach Cantata series on BIS has now reached volume 11, and it's a
real treat.  There are four cantatas in this volume:  BWV 46, 95, 136, and
138.  Each was fist performed in 1723.  Although none of the four is among
Bach's most popular cantatas, each one has gorgeous/stirring chorales and
very moving arias.

IMHO, Suzuki has such a natural way with Bach and is becoming my favorite
conductor of the Bach cantatas.  I have groused a little in the past about
the sopranos he uses; this time he has gone back to Midori Suzuki who I
prefer to Mia Persson(sp?), the soloist on volume 10.  The other soloists
are excellent as is the wonderful chorus.  Recorded sound is consistently
superb.

Suzuki's series is competing with the on-going Koopman series on Erato.
The main advantage of Koopman's traversal is that each of his volumes has
contained at least 3 cds; each Suzuki volume has only one.  So, Koopman
will likely finish up much earlier than Suzuki and before my hearing
recedes.

P.S.  - This is my last posting to the List; I wanted to go out with a
Bach.  I wish all of you and your families healthy and prosperous times
ahead.  Adios!

Don Satz