From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 10:00:12 -0800
Steven Martin ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>To all concerned, Today I swung by a used record store that had a ton of
>used LPs.  Unfortunately, I cannot divulge the location of this store since
>it would promptly be swamped with list members scarfing up the same LPs
>that I am planning to buy this weekend.  ANYWAY...I saw two copies of a
>Beethoven #9 conducted by Horenstein.  I had been unaware of any Beethoven
>by Horenstein.

Oh tush, Steve, visit my Horenstein site and check out the discography
(http://www.camosun.bc.ca/~dbarker/horenstein.html) there are (all -were -
on Vox) two Eroicas (mono, stereo), 5, 6 and 9.

The 9th is a great performance, IMHO, and, interestingly enough, the
only one I've ever heard which observes what was apparently Beethoven's
autograph emendation of Schiller (no, not Freiheit for Freude, down Lenny)

Schiller's original reads "Was die mode streng geteilt" ("that which
custom has sternly parted"); Beethoven's autograph reads "Was die mode
frech geteilt" ("...impudently...").

Unfortunately, Vox botched the recording when they made it fake stereo
and put it on a single LP.  If you find the 2LP set, snap it up.  (The
Allegretto CD release is a clone of the single LP, complete with fade
down/up in the middle of the slow movement, where the side break was).

A friend did a mono remix of the fake stereo from the Allegretto CD and
it sound much better - you can start to get the feel for the performance.

Apart from that, I can't help you....

Deryk Barker