HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 23:50:44 -0700
Hi Ned
Nothing really to add here, except to point that I think most historians do
accept that "Taylorism" preceded Taylor in many ways (gauging and the
"American System" contained many elements of Taylorist labor management for
example) and possibly adding labor history to your list of literatures that
archaeologists might look at.

>>Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:31:01 -0500
>>From: Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: workplace archaeology
>>Sender: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>
>>First, let me say that I do not accept traditional historians'
>>emphasis on Taylorism as a turning-point in workplace history. Taylor
>>was a good salesman, but his product had been around a long time. In
>>the gunpowder and charcoal iron industries, to name but two, the
>>revolution was old hat by the time Taylor was out of short pants.

>>There is a crying need for archaeologists of all sorts, not just
>>industrial archaeologists, to involve themselves in other
>>disciplines, which might include genealogy, historical geography,
>>economic history, and history of technology.  We produce a whole
>>literature that touches on these disciplines, yet our output tends to
>>be missed in their research.
>>Ned Heite  ([log in to unmask])
>>**************************
>>*                        *
>>*    Compost happens.    *
>>*                        *
>>**************************

--Mark Walker--
The Colorado Coalfield War Project
Department of Anthropology
University of Denver
Denver, CO 80208-2406
http://www.du.edu/~markwalk/fieldschool.html
Who built Thebes of the seven gates?
In the books you will find the names of kings
Did the kings haul up the lumps of rock?
                                Bertolt Brecht