From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 02:56:45 GMT
Philip Jongeneel wrote:

>Another question to members of the list, one on a light-hearted note:
>What other works in CM are open ended such that it could accept an
>addition the way Pluto was added to the Planets?

I think poorly of what's being done to Holst's composition.  I just would
like make two points.  First, the Planets by Holst is only "open ended"
from the viewpoint of astronomy.  It is as musically and artistically
complete as a Beethoven symphony.  Second, if the point of the Pluto
addition is to attain "accuracy", what would happen if Neptune went off
course, left the sun's orbit, and exploded a few years later? I suppose
that Holst's Neptune movement would have to be deleted from the Planets.

Don Satz