From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:56:56 -0400
Than Tam Lee writes:

>Oddly enough, my favourite Hanson symphony is the most blatantly American
>of all to my ears, namely the 4th, "Requiem" (in memory of his father).
>It is particularly simple, transparent, unpretending, eloquent, but free
>of superficial rhetoric.

I agree.  I have Schwartz's 4th and really enjoy it more the Hanson's own
Mercury recording of the 1st ans 2nd.  I'm more than willing to admit that
I am not yet familiar enough with 1 and 2 to fully appreciate them.  But
right now, I'd have to say that Hanson falls below Copland and Piston and,
perhaps, Harris in my own preferences.

However, his requiem in the 4th is very original and, as the previous post
pointed out, also very American.

The "filler" selections ar4e also very enjoyable.

Ed