From:
Allan Kohrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 18:26:10 EDT
Surely the explanation is complicated.  One reason is that it is difficult
to build in Boston.  We don't have much open space, community groups want
nothing near them, and too many politicians have to be satisfied.

Another reason is Sarah Caldwell.  She dominated Boston Opera for many
years but let down a great many people.  No group has arisen that has
brought first rate singers here, in part, perhaps, because people don't
want to get burned again.  The best we have is the Boston Lyric Opera,
mostly provincial until last year, when they produced a fine Zauberflote
and Aida.  But their prices are high for what they offer, and they have a
long way to go before producing opera of the quality Boston deserves.

Allan Kohrman
Newton, MA