"Stephen E. Bacher" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 08:46:02 -0400
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]> writes in reply to me:

>>To their credit, in later years [ELP] acknowledged, or at least confessed
>>to, the origins of their "adaptations" of works of Bach, Copland,
>>Ginastera, and (heaven help us) Mussorgsky.
>
>This is, however, not correct.  They were extremely clear in later albums
>as to the origins of their adaptions.  For instance from the album Brain
>Salad Surgery, the second track is labeled: Toccata (An Adaption of
>Ginastera's 1st Piano Concerto, 4th Movement).  Can't get much clearer than
>that.  Such attributions can be found in all their later albums, so there
>was nothing for them to "confess".

By what I wrote above I meant that they, in fact, did credit the original
composers on these numbers, as opposed to the practice on the first album.
Perhaps it was my choice of verbs that lent a "tabloid" quality to my post.
I was not suggesting a post-publication "confession".

 - seb