Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 07:48:12 +0200
From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
John White <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>(7) Mahler's First Symphony bears striking resemblances, certainly in style
>if not in thematic content, to his friend Hans Rott's E major Symphony,
>Completed 8 years earlier.  Sadly, Rott died in 1884 in his mid 20s.

There *are* borrowings in Mahler 1 from Rotts symphony in tematic material
and rythmic figures.  I have listened a lot and carefully to both the
symphonies, and this is what my ears tell me.  Search for my Mahler 1
review in the arcieves to find out more.

Also I could add to this thread:

* Beethoven borrowing from Mozart: The slow movement of Beethovens 2th
symphony and a theme from Mozarts symphony nr.38

* Beethoven borrowing from Mozart: Theme from Beethovens "Die Schoepfungs
des Prometheus" and the slow movement of Mozarts 35th symphony.

* Sjostakovitj borrowing from Wagner: The Wagner Ring quotations in
Sjostakovitjs 15th symphony.  I.e "Fate"-motif, "Sieglines love" motif,
and "death" motif.

* Boerresen borrowing from Beethoven: The dadadaduu motiv of Beethovens
5th in masked form in Boerresens 1st symphony.

* Mozart borrowing from M.Haydn: Symphony nr.37, was to great extent
originally a concert by Haydn.

Mats Norrman