From:
Kay Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 20:24:03 +1000
In our Unit (1400 births/yr) in Australia, if the baby has had a good
witnessed breastfeed shortly after birth, they are left for 12 hours before
we begin to be concerned. Even then we don't do blood sugars, unless we have
a good reason.
After 12 hours, they are changed, unwraped, and encouraged to feed.
If no feed, they have a full set of obs done, then observed for feeding cues
for another couple of hours, being tucked into bed with mum, with lots of
skin to skin and mum being asked to ring for us if baby seems interested.

Rarely do we have to go past this with a well, term baby, but if so, mum may
express (by hand) and whatever she gets is given to baby by spoon, syringe,
or cup. (Still no blood sugars!)

I was involved in changing our guidelines last year, rang many other
hospitals, did lit. searches etc- very little is actually committed to
paper!

Our guidelines seem to work well, we have not seen any increase in jaundice,
dehydrated babies or all the other usual arguments.
Best wishes
Susan in Qld Australia