From:
Mimi Poinsett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 11:27:17 -0800
A question was asked why have toys in a pediatrician's office:

I can give you several reasons:

1.  Gives the child something to do while waiting to be seen (how many of
you don't have to wait to be seen by your health care provider?)

2.  The pediatrician can observe developmental behavior watching a child
play with a toy eg Denver Developmental Screen.

3. Can be used as a teaching tool to show parents what toys are appropiate
for age, what toys are safe and fun.

4.  Gives me something to wear around my stethescope or engage the child
while I am examining them.

As for the sanitation issue.  Toys should be cleaned daily is the same way
they are cleaned in a child care facility.  I'm also one of those docs who
washes my hands and wipes my stethscope with an alcohol swab before and
after seeing a patient.

I think its also great to have children's BOOKS in the office.  I start
stressing the importance of reading to children from birth on.  Being read
to early (6 mos on) is associated with enjoying reading and better academic
performance.  Besides it is way fun!

Pierrette Mimi Poinsett, MD, FAAP
Modesto, CA