From:
Rachel e-mail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 01:15:10 +0100
I feel I must clarify-- when I felt certain I had "done it before" but also felt I was my mother, feeding me, I think I was experiencing re-activation of stored knowledge acquired through many many feeding episodes over the nine months my mother breastfed me.  I was in the feeder role for the first time, but the situation itself was extraordinarily familiar, especially from the baby's point of view.  I had more than adequate theoretical knowledge to guide me, and excellent support from everyone around me as well.  But the first time I held my daughter at my breast, I did it on my own and it just seemed to fit.
Kathy Dettwyler is absolutely right.  Not breastfeeding will not, per se, change our genes so that we don't know how to do it.  And being breastfed, seeing others breastfeed as a matter of course, living in a breastfeeding society all will add to the body of knowledge an individual has on the matter.  It doesn't have anything to do with genes.
Rachel Myr