Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 22:34:46 EST
Jean queried, about moms taking acidophilus to boost lactobacilli in milk,

<< This is something I thought I read of only in relation to increase of
 lactobacilli in the gut of the person (mom or baby) that received the
 acidophilus directly, especially after ABX. The idea, as  you were
 obviously shooting for,  is to re-colonize the gut with the "good germs",
  to prevent diarrhea and keep Candida from multiplying like crazy in the
 gut. I envision them remaining in the gut where they stay till eliminated
 with the stool.  >>

My b-i-l, a physician, assures me that this is the case, and that it is
therefore impossible that, for instance, taking acidophilus orally would
decrease vaginal yeast infections.

However, I am one of the zillions of women who can testify from personal
experience that oral acidophilus do indeed seem to decrease vaginal yeast.

Since experience persuaded me of this, 7 yeast-infection-free years ago, I
have been looking for a good explanation of the mechanism for it, which
perhaps might also explain the transfer into milk, if such transfer there is.
  Do yeast live in the blood???  Do lactobacilli move in the plasma????   I
am confused, but I sure feel better then I did in those horrible,
Monistat-repeating years that preceded my oral acidophilus!   So I am ready
to look with interest at this advice for nursing moms too.

Anyone got wisdom here?

Elisheva Urbas, NYC