From:
"G. Hertz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 21:25:57 -0800
The recent thread about doctors and refusing medical treatment [ leaving
AMA, etc.] has stirred up a lot of thoughts in my mind and since none of the
other docs have commented, I  thought I might.

Are  doctors any different than other groups of  people?  [Lawyers, auto
mechanics, nurses, policemen, etc? ]
There are going to be people in any of  these  groups that are: 1.) better
with people skills than others in the group  2.)  More  skilled in their
field than others in the group.

Are doctors held to a different [higher] standard than these other groups?
Maybe so.  In all these  groups   we have certain expectations - we are
especially disappointed when we  find  that a policeman has been arrested or
a respiratory therapist  smokes like a chimney.

People  are only as good as the training they  receive [and that includes
the training to keep learning new things].  Doctors deal with issues the way
they   do because of their training.  Their slant on medical issues is there
from what they've learned, by what they've been taught, by what they've
experienced - and by a  desire  to   do what they think is medically correct
[ or through no fault of  their own -  medicolegally correct]

If   you  want the best for your  car, you ask around and choose the best
mechanic.   If you want the best for your self or  your kids, then choose
the best doctor. [Or at least find one who will listen to you]  Keep in mind
that what you want  may not be  something your doctor can comfortably  do.
Refusing  treatment   [with  informed consent,  of  course] is   fine for an
adult   or older teen, but  is  different when you are refusing  for a minor
even if it's your minor.

If you don't want an iv or meds in labor, or   your baby bathed, or  to have
vitamin K or  eyedrops, find  some place to give birth that doesn't do that.
If you find that  to  do that you must  give up having  medical
"supervision" then - you  certainly have the right  to choose that.  If that
does not work  go back to  the  previous paragraph  "see  find  good doctor"
and learn how to compromise.

It is difficult to see how people want  just what  they want from their
doctor and  don't  plan to accept input  from their doctor in return.  If
you accept that this person is a doctor and has had xyz years of
raining  -and that is meaningful - then good.  If that is not meaningful,
then why have a doctor in the first place?

A hospital is not the same as a supermarket - yet.  It is set up with
guidelines, rules and procedures that may or may not be the best, most
desirable when applied across the board.  That's where having a good doc and
good communication with a doc makes a difference.

One person's opinion is not always right no matter how strongly it is held.
This weeks example "I don't see what is so wrong about a few lines of  coke
that these people try to come and take  your baby away when everybody does
it" said the mom who disappeared for a few   hours during labor - yes, baby
was born drug positive.
Here's  more  about my week: I've seen 2 babies this week born by c-sec
after a prolapsed cord - I hope they'll be ok.  I do think it  was
meaningful that the doctors had training - and I doubt  that either mom had
anticipated this unfortunate turn of events.

Yes, there are  rude doctors -  as well as rude lawyers, rude auto
mechanics, rude  nurses, etc.
Choose  wisely.

Cranky, sick and tired in PA
Gail Hertz,MD, IBCLC