HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Matthew Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 10:14:32 +0000
Adrian, belated reply -- just some things to add to your list if you
ever take it international

1.  Mark Horton (Dept of Classics, University of Bristol) gave a paper
at a conference in Ireland recently about the arch of England's medieval
Jewish community -- my dim recollection of the abstract was that it was
about historians have glossed over some of the appalling things that
happened in the service of the consensual 'muffling inclusiveness' that
is British identity.  Off the record, I'm not a fan of Mark but I did
hear the paper was very good

2.  The medieval Jewish quarter in Amsterdam was excavated a few year
ago -- little 'distinctive' about the material culture but the bone
report made much of the large % of chicken bones and associated metal
tags from kosher butchers -- these were dated and apparently all
slaughtered on Thursday.  I can dig out the original reference if you're
interested/haven;t come across this before

Hope all goes well -- Margie promised a newsy email some time ago but
silence since then!  When are you next over here?  can we line you up
for a seminar when you are?   Matthew