HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Dendy, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 15:13:27 -0500
Leon,

According to our resident geologist, that area of Maine is know for its
pegmatites which contain "huge" quartz inclusions (one crystal recorded to
have been up to 12 feet long). If they were mining feldspars, these
inclusions would have been a fringe benefit and could have been being
cleaned up and sold for higher profit to rock crystal industries elsewhere.
Thus, the cellar could simply have been for storage of this more valuable
commodity and the flakes etc. could have come from materials testing or
cleaning.

John Dendy